Friday, December 8, 2017

Cutting Room Floor


Dude, Neill, how goes it? I'm fucking loving the ADAM shorts you guys are doing with UNITY. I dug Unity, it was a fun engine to work with. It's what we made Moonrise in. I'm still bummed about that project. I feel like it still has some potential. Although, I have lots of projects that had potential, and never even got started.

These images were from a fun action adventure co-op game. I like my landscapes bleak and desolate. It actually got all the way to be in front of publishers, but withered there.


I still think, maybe someday something will happen with this, so I won't dig too deep into what it was. The world was cool, neat set up. I love finding stories in game world, ways to make you and every other player the 'hero', but still be you. I find open story design challenging.


It's just fun world building. When you set the mission structure right, the gamer hopefully doesn't feel like they're bread-crumbing, but instead in charge of their own decision and character progression.  Hopefully they find their own story in the crumbs you scattered on the floor. Shit like that is rad.

I can honestly say that out of a hundred or so of my game (or film, or story, or comic) pitches, only one was made. It did well. Made millions. Not me...but it made millions. I guess just keep pitching. I sure as shit am not going to stop. I have one game idea right now that features...well...maybe we wait a bit.

Long story longer, it makes me wonder what ideas of yours ended up in limbo, or in a 'someday' dreams folder. I'm guessing a chunk of Oats was born out of that, a place to at least partially realize those ideas. At any rate, I'm fucking loving them.

Keep on keeping on.

Doug "The Pitchlist" Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment